I renovated our master bedroom during the summer! We have lived in this nearly fifty-year-old house for fifteen years, and this is the first chance we’ve had to do work like this. The carpeting was I-don’t-know-how-many-years old (dusty pink and gross), some of the wall corners had mold from before we had the roof replaced, the walls were white and dirty, and the trim was brown. I was soooooo tired of the dusty brown-ness of it all.
One day, I started moving furniture out of it, thinking, “How hard can this be to move the furniture and paint the walls?” Ha, I forgot how much work it is, and how one makes other decisions along the way that add more work. But once I got going, I was in it for the long haul until it was the way I wanted it. Lots of decluttering had to happen, too. Once that was done, I took a look around and thought, “I hate this carpeting, it stinks, let’s paint the plywood underneath. I don’t care who thinks that’s improper. We can’t afford to put in ‘proper’ flooring, painted plywood is fine, and this is what handmade rugs are for!” So my daughter, who loves tearing out carpeting, did the job for me. My son got involved by scrubbing mold from the corners of the walls. Son and husband got the gross carpeting hauled to the curb. And then I spent time pulling up staples from the plywood. After that, I thoroughly cleaned and rinsed every surface of the room. Have I mentioned how much I hate prep work.
But after hours and hours (and weeks) of prep work in between my other life duties, voila, paint. Yellow walls, white trim, white door, white heater cover, light gray floor:
I was soooooo happy to finally reach the painted shell stage. The colours totally transformed the whole room, making it feel cozy and light. Then came the fun part of decorating it all.
The first thing I did was buy a new bedframe that was higher off the floor, had more stationary support feet under it (goodbye sagging box springs and jouncy wheels!), and was half-price. I fiddled around with where to place it, and settled on the wall across from the big window. This way we get the view from both windows.
Once we were able to sleep in there again (pure bliss – I was so happy going to sleep those first few times), I got to work on various elements. First up was revamping the lamps. I had bought these sturdy floor lamps a few years ago at a salvage place, planning to make them over. I took the shades off, cleaned the rust and guck off the metal poles and bases, and spray painted them metallic silver. Next, I cleaned off the shades and got to work with attaching glue-soaked patches of fabric to them. That took awhile. I then coated them with an overall coat of the glue (gloss medium) for sheen. Last, I crocheted trims for the tops and bottoms of each shade.
As you can see in the above photos, I also made new pillow cases from pieces of vintage sheet fabric. When I make these, I like to do embroidery on the flat-felled seams. I also like to construct them with French seams. Four pillows make it easy to sit up in bed to read or stare out the window. Feels like a luxury. Below, you can see a window curtain I made from a vintage Wabasso cotton sheet in a blue floral pattern.
In the next photo, you can see the vintage yellow roses sheet made into curtains for the closet. We’d had those folding, slatted, brown doors for years; and I hated always having to open and close them. We took them off finally. But now we can “close” the closet again, this time more easily.
In this next photo, you can see the wall mirror (with the closet curtains reflected in it!). The frame originally was white, but paint I must. I’ve gotten so much inspiration from a multi-talented artist named Kristin Nicholas that I keep going for more paint colours and patterns in things I make. I love the green frame with pink polka dots against the yellow wall.
Oh how I’ve longed for closet organization. We had a bureau in the room; but after decluttering, we found that everything fit into the closet. I had those white stacking baskets in the front hall closet, but we didn’t need them there anymore. I found the white shelving unit at a thrift store, brought it home, and painted it. This stores each of our laundry baskets. I’m just in bliss that everything has a place to be stored and easily accessed.
The crocheted lampshade trim! I learned how to crochet the pom poms and then made up a trim pattern for the lampshades in the house. They “finish” the lampshades nicely.
Here are the flat-felled seams of the pillowcases, decorated with embroidery. I embroidered with the help of a book I mentioned in this post a few months ago. I love being able to stitch so neatly.
Window curtain made from sheet fabric:
I wasn’t sure if this next project was going to work, but it did. I cleaned the switchplates, sanded them, applied gloss medium, and covered them in white glitter. At first, the semi-dried glue-glitter tended to slide off, but after fully hardening, it stuck. By the way, you might notice imperfections in the photos, such as the little paint splotches and bits of dirt on the actual switch here. I spent so many hours on this reno that I decided I would let some imperfections be.
I attached my jewelry to a bulletin board! It’s so easily accessible. And I painted a dark blue mirror frame this gorgeous purple, then I added orange and green flowers and dark green flecks in between the flowers.
I will be adding a few more touches to the room, but I can relax in it now. I love how everything turned out, and I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about it!